It’s back to school season! If you’re like me, you’re just trying to keep your kids as healthy as possible. These natural immune boosters will help the whole family stay healthy as you get bombarded with germs!
It’s back-to-school season, and as we all know, that means that if you have school-aged children, your immune systems are going to take a beating. The first two years that my oldest was in school, the icky germs that circulate between kids completely wreaked havoc on our whole family. She was absent from school so many times that the office started sending notes home about after-school catch-up sessions. It was awful. That’s when I really started researching natural immune boosters, which has helped us make it through the year with very few doctor’s visits.
My Favorite Natural Immune Boosters
This post contains affiliate links. To learn more, please read my full disclosure here.
There are so many things you can do naturally to boost your immune system. I’m amazed that more people aren’t doing so without even realizing it! Today, I’m just going to talk about our favorite natural immune boosters. These are the things that we do all the time to help us stay healthy while the rest of our town is filling up the waiting rooms at every local doctor’s office.
The natural immune boosters we rely on most heavily include:
- Essential Oils
- Apple Cider Vinegar
- Local, Raw Honey
Every one of these immune boosters will help on their own, but a good, solid regimen using a combination will really help keep you healthy this school year.
Essential Oils for Staying Healthy
There is tons of information out there these days about how great essential oils are for keeping you healthy. I’m only going to touch on the ones we use most frequently, because otherwise, this post would only have room for oils, which isn’t my goal. There are a lot of brands out there for essential oils, and they all have their benefits, but if you’re looking for my recommendation, we’ve recently started using Plant Therapy. I’ve been really drawn to them because of their extensive KidSafe line, and all of the reading I’ve done shows them to be at least as good as Young Living (the brand my family used and recommended for years) for a fraction of the price.
The essential oils in my natural immune boosting arsenal include:
- Germ Destroyer: Germ Destroyer is designed to help boost your immune system and help you stay healthy or get over illnesses faster. I diffuse it regularly, and also have it in a roller bottle. I love that unlike other popular immune boosting blends, this one is actually classified as safe for kids!
- Immune Boom: This blend helps keep you on track with a healthy immune system, and is also safe for kids!
- Lemon: Lemon is really high in limonene, which is a great natural immune booster. Lemon is also known to help regenerate white blood cells, so it’s a must when you’re trying to avoid illness!
- Eucalyptus: This oil is great for respiratory problems. The minute I start noticing my daughter sniffling or coughing, I break out this oil and diffuse it in her room. We can usually end a cold before it fully takes hold by using Eucalyptus at night.
Other oils we use a lot to keep illnesses at bay include lavender, tea tree, peppermint, rosemary, and oregano. I love using essential oils to keep my family healthy. This is usually our first line of defense against cold germs, but we always use them in combination with other natural immune boosters that I’ll mention below.
Vitamins to Fight Cold & Flu Germs
We all grew up taking vitamins, so it should come as no shock that we need them to stay healthy, right? When you’re trying to keep cold and flu germs at bay, you need a specific vitamins.
Probably one of the absolute best things you can do for your body, especially during cold and flu season, is to make sure that you are getting adequate amounts of vitamin D3. Most people are deficient these days, but this vitamin is so crucial to your overall health. I’m not going to get into too much of the science behind it right here. Just know that taking vitamin D3 has been proven to reduce your risk of viral respiratory infections, among many other illnesses. You can read more about the importance of vitamin D3 here.
Another vitamin you should be taking for immune support is vitamin C. This vitamin is more widely known to help fight off colds. It can also be found in many foods other than oranges, such as broccoli and other greens. Be sure you’re eating the right foods, and if you think you may need extra vitamin C support, add a supplement daily.
Food Products that Support the Immune System
There are also many food products you can be sure to eat that are natural immune boosters. Some food products I use:
- Raw Apple Cider Vinegar: There are so many benefits to drinking raw apple cider vinegar. Be sure you buy the kind “with the mother,” (it’ll say so on the label). Apple cider vinegar helps fight flu and stomach bugs, allergies, sinus infections, and even has antibiotic properties. Check out this post for more info on apple cider vinegar.
- Raw Local Honey: This is different than the honey-like products you can usually find in the grocery store. Make sure you are buying a raw honey. The more local to you, the better. Not only does a spoonful a day help fight off seasonal allergies, but it also has antiseptic and antioxidant properties that can help boost your immune system. You can read more about using honey for your health here.
- Raw Garlic: When taken raw, there is evidence that garlic can help boost your immune system, and even help prevent viruses from taking hold in your body. It’s rough, but I tend to chop up a clove of garlic into small pieces and swallow it like a pill. You can also infuse it into olive oil to help with ear infections.
These are just a few of the food sources that can be used to help boost your immune system.
Stay Healthy this School Year with Natural Immune Boosters
As you can see, there are so many natural ways to boost your immune system for this back-to-school cold season. When you combine a healthy diet with some natural immune boosters, you’ll find yourself in the doctor’s office much less! Our daily regimen in the fall includes using our immune boosting essential oils, taking daily vitamins, and eating lots of super-foods to help us stay healthy. The few colds that we do catch are usually much milder, and last much less time now.
Do you know any natural immune boosters not mentioned here? I’d love to hear about them in the comments section!