I don’t know about you, but when I think about Easter, the first thing that comes to mind is ham. This cheesy bacon, ham & cauliflower casserole is the perfect easy Easter lunch idea that will please the whole crowd.Jump to Recipe
Three things I love about this recipe:
1) It’s jam-packed with veggies and flavor. I even got my 5 year old to not only eat her dinner, but to tell me I did a good job! Since dinner has been a constant battle for months, that’s huge!
2) It’s easy to scale for a crowd. The main ingredient, cauliflower, is really cheap, and makes a lot! You could easily double this without much extra cost, or work. You don’t even need a whole ham for this recipe! I think I paid $7 for a slice of bone-in ham, and it was plenty.
3) It makes great left overs. Just cover it and stick it in the fridge and you’ll have left overs for days! It’s super versatile, too. My family was even talking about how good this would be with a fried egg over it for breakfast!
The Search for an Easter Lunch Idea
I knew I wanted to create a new recipe for Easter this year, and when I started brainstorming ideas, I kept coming back to ham. I’m not a big fan of just plain ham, though, and let’s be honest. It’s been done. I wanted something a little different.
I also knew it needed to be something that can feed a crowd, because we usually have family over. A casserole just seemed perfect, because I can make it ahead of time and bake it right before we eat. This leaves me free to actually enjoy the festivities with my family, without being holed up in the kitchen while everyone else enjoys themselves.
This casserole is perfect for the occasion. Plus, even though it’s mostly paleo, keto, and Trim Healthy Mama approved, it’s good enough for anyone, regardless of what diet they follow. The cheese and bacon are enough to get just about anyone on board, so it’ll be a crowd pleaser for the whole family.
Bacon, Ham, & Cheese Cauli Bake
- 1 head cauliflower
- 8 slices thick-cut bacon
- 1 lb ham
- 1 whole onion chopped
- 1 bunch green onion chopped
- 1 cup mushrooms roughly chopped
- 1 1/2 cup colby jack cheese shredded/divided
- 8 oz cream cheese
- 1/2 cup chicken bone broth
- 1 tbs seasoning blend of sea salt, ground black pepper, onion, and garlic powder
- Lay out bacon on a cookie sheet and bake at 250 for about 20 minutes (until lightly browned, but not fully crispy).
- Steam whole head of cauliflower with seasoning blend. I used the instant pot with a steamer basket and steamed my cauliflower for 6 minutes. If you don’t have an instant pot, you can steam it in a steamer basket on the stove.
- Pan fry your ham in a skillet until browned
- While everything is cooking, chop your onion, green onion, and mushroom and shred cheese.
- When ham is warmed through, remove it from the skilled and cube it into bite sized pieces.
- When bacon is almost fully cooked, remove it from the oven and chop it into bite sized pieces. Turn oven up to 400 degrees.
- Mash cauliflower with chicken broth and add 1 cup of shredded cheese, cream cheese, cubed ham, onion, and mushrooms and mix well.
- Top with remaining cheese and chopped bacon.
- Place in the oven for 10 minutes, or until cheese is melted and bacon is crispy.
- Top with green onion and serve.
Like this post? Find more like it here:
Need Some Fun Easter Basket Ideas While We’re At It?
Be sure to check out my latest post! 30 Non-Candy Easter Basket Ideas [For Any Kid]