Want to enjoy great coffee every day without spending $5 a day? Read on for the best hot coffee drink recipes to make at home!
Call me basic all you want, but today I’m going to admit that I’m a huge fan of fancy coffee drinks. In fact, I used to work at a very well known coffee shop as a barista, and swore that one day, I’d have my own cafe.
Of course, that never happened. I discovered the joys of working from home and making my own schedule, and that dream went right out the window.
The fact remains, though, that I’m a fan of good coffee. I don’t like to scrimp on my drinks. Still, these days you’re looking at $5 and up for a good cup of coffee. Even for those who are willing to pay that much daily, they’re also loaded with sugar!
The good news is, it’s actually not hard to make your own frothy, sweet coffee drink from home! I’m going to give you two quick recipes to try, so keep reading below.
What You Need to Make Great Coffee Drinks at Home
This post contains affiliate links. This means I could earn a small commission based on your purchases. To learn more, read my full disclosure here.
I’m not a big fan of having a bunch of gadgets in my kitchen. It’s one of the areas where my minimalism really takes over. So, really, you only need a few supplies to make these hot coffee drink recipes at home.
- A coffee pot: I love my French Press, but I’m not going to lie. I’ve been using my Keurig a lot since I got it for Christmas. I buy biodegradable, fair trade coffee pods, so hopefully that makes it okay. Any coffee pot will do, but these are the two that I use.
- Good, strong coffee: Listen, you’re not going to get an amazing coffee drink with a cup of Folgers. I don’t care what the commercials say. If you’ve got a Keurig, I love these pods. Otherwise, find yourself a fresh ground, organic, strong coffee, and brew it according to the package instructions.
- A milk frother: This is my only special gadget that I require, because I love my foamy coffee drink. I have this one, which heats up and creates a nice foam at the same time.
- An immersion Blender: An immersion blender makes this really easy, but if you don’t have one, a regular blender will work as well. But seriously, if you don’t already have one for soups and sauces, I recommend it anyway.
- .Ingredients: Of course, some of this will be preference, but I like to keep heavy cream or half n half, maple syrup (my favorite sweetener), and vanilla extract, coconut oi, and butter (yes, butter. Trust me, you’ll see how I use it later) on hand for my coffees. You could also use a coconut or almond milk substitue, stevia, coconut sugar, or honey.
Homemade Cafe au Lait
If you’ve never had a cafe au lait, you’re missing out. It satisfies the latte craving, without having to have an espresso machine at home.
A cafe au lait is basically just half coffee and half steamed milk. I always feel like I’m treating myself when I have one, because they’re so creamy and rich, but really this version is fairly healthy.
Homemade Cafe au Lait Coffee Recipe
- coffee pot
- milk steamer
- 1 cup fresh brewed coffee
- 1/4 cup steamed half n half or heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp sweetener (I love maple syrup in mine)
- 1 splash vanilla extract optional
- Brew your coffee according to your coffee pot.
- While coffee is brewing, steam your cream.
- Once both are finished, pour your cream over your coffee, making sure to let the foam settle on top
- Sweeten with approx. 1 tsp of maple syrup, honey, coconut sugar, or stevia
Homemade Bullet Proof Coffee
Bullet proof coffee has been all the rage lately. I’ve been seeing it called “keto” coffee, too. Usually with an unusually high markup on the price. It always makes me laugh, because this stuff is so easy and cheap to make at home. Here’s how:
Homemade Bullet Proof Coffee Recipe
- coffee pot
- Blender or Immersion Blender
- 1 cup fresh brewed coffee
- 1 tbs coconut oil or MCT oil
- 1 tbs butter
- 1 tsp stevia or vanilla extract
- Brew coffee according to your coffee pot directions
- When coffee is done, add remaining ingredients
- Blend with an immersion blender until it's thick and foamy
- If you don't have an immersion blender, place all ingredients in a regular blender and blend.
These hot coffee drink recipes will have you treating yourself in no time
We all love a treat every now and then. With these hot coffee drink recipes, you can enjoy a treat without having a full day’s worth of sugar in one sitting. Even better, you can save money, and enjoy them without changing out of your pajamas!
Are you a fan of fancy coffee drinks? I hope you’ll enjoy both of these recipes!
Find more healthy recipes from The Angie Cruise Blog here:
- The Best Marinade for Pork or Chicken
- Paleo Chili Recipe
- Homemade Pumpkin Spice Latte
- Chicken and Black Bean Taco Stuffed Sweet Potatoes