My family is a huge fan of taco nights. Of course, we love a good basic taco, but we also really like to mix things up.
In addition to that, I have a 4 year old that’s really big into sweet potatoes lately. Last night, I said I was thinking about making tacos, and she asked if I could put them in sweet potatoes. I mean, it’s not something I’d typically do, but it sounded really good.
This post contains affiliate links. To learn more, please see my full disclosure here.
I tossed some whole, scrubbed sweet potatoes in the instant pot for 30 minutes, and while those cooked, I got to work on the stuffing.
Earlier this week, I’d cooked up a lot of chicken breasts that needed to be used, so I got to work shredding those, tossed them in the skillet, and started adding toppings.
Before I knew it, a new family favorite had been created. Since it was such a hit, I thought I’d share it here on the blog! Not only is this recipe full of flavor, it’s also paleo, whole 30 approved (if served as is), and a Trim Healthy Mama “E” meal!
- 4 whole, plain sweet potatoes
- cooked, shredded chicken breasts (I had 2)
- 1 can of black beans
- 2 bell peppers, roughly chopped
- 1 onion, roughly chopped
- 1 can of fire roasted tomatoes (or RoTel)
- homemade taco seasoning (cumin, salt, pepper, cayenne, onion, & garlic)
- Scrub your sweet potatoes, and place them in your instant pot on the trivet. Add some water, being careful not to let it touch the potatoes.
- Cook the potatoes on manual for 25-30 minutes, depending on their size.
- While those are cooking, add the rest of your ingredients to a skillet and let it all simmer together until the potatoes are done.
- When the potatoes are ready, cut them open and place in the bottom of a bowl. Top them with your chicken and black bean mix, and enjoy!
These would also be amazing with some guacamole, sour cream, or grated cheese on top. Since my family follows Trim Healthy Mama, we like to keep our carbs and our fats separate for the most part, so I ate mine as it was!
Looking for a new take on your next taco night? This stuffed sweet potato version is a fun way to mix it up! Be sure to pin the recipe below and share with your friends so they can try it, too!
Like this recipe? Be sure to give these a try, too!
If you’re not a frequent reader, you should know all of my recipes include real food ingredients. Looking to clean up your diet with foods you and your kids will both enjoy? These have all been hits!