Some days, you just need to sit back, put your feet up, and unwind a little. Try adding this DIY lavender eye pillow to your relaxation time while you enjoy a few minutes to yourself!
I don’t know about you, but sometimes I feel like life can get a little overwhelming. As a work-at-home mom, there’s a constant urge to do more every single day. But sometimes, it’s nice to just sit back and take a minute to yourself. In fact, I fully believe that a little bit of self care every single day is vital to our overall health, both mental and physical.
One of the ways that I like to give myself a little pampering is with a lavender eye pillow. I got one last year as a gift at a yoga retreat, and it’s safe to say I’m totally hooked.
I use this eye pillow when I’m struggling to get some rest, when my head is pounding, in the tub, during savasana (after yoga), and any time I just need to unwind.
This Christmas, while I was putting together some spa-night themed gift baskets for loved ones, a thought came to me. If I love my lavender eye pillow this much, maybe others will, too?
So, I set about making a bunch for my friends. They’re surprisingly easy to make. Easy enough for someone just learning to sew. In fact, my 10 year old, Addie, helped me make about 20 of them the week before Christmas!
Want to make yourself a lavender eye pillow? Check out the instructions below!
This post contains affiliate links. To learn more, see my full disclosure here.
- Plain muslin cloth (approx 10″x5″)
- Silk cloth (10.5″ x 5″)
- Sewing machine or needle and thread
- 1 1/4 c dried flax seed
- 1/4 c dried lavender (with stems picked out)
- 4-5 drops of Lavender essential oil
- Fabric Pins
- A funnel
- Snap Tape
- Coordinating thread
To make this lavender eye pillow, you’ll be creating one pillow out of muslin, and another one out of silk to serve as a sort of pillow case. I wanted the silk be be removable in case it got dirty, so instead of sewing all of the pieces together, we’ll make them separate.
- Cut all fabric to the appropriate size
- Pin your fabric to make 2 rectangles: 1 muslin, 1 silk (be sure the shiny side is facing each other. Leave one short end of each rectangle open. We’ll come back to those later.
- Using a short running stitch, sew 3 sides of each rectangle shut, leaving one short end open to add your filling.
- On silk pillow case, flip the open end down about 1/4″ to create a hem. Sew it down (being careful not to sew your rectangle shut)
- Pin snap tape to the inside of this hem and sew it on with a zipper footing. (I used 3 snaps on my pillows)
- Mix flax seed, lavender, and essential oil in a bowl
- Gently pour mixture into your muslin rectangle until it is about 1/2 way full.
- Sew the end completely shut
- Tuck muslin pillow into the pillow case. (It might seem a little snug at first, but all of mine fit fine!)
Like this post? You might also like:
- DIY Collagen Boosting Face Mask
- Easy Knit Dish Cloths (Also great face scrubbies!)
- My Favorite DIY Beauty Hacks