Check out this collection of DIY Skincare recipes you can do in your own kitchen. Your skin and your wallet will thank you!
When I first started making the switch to clean living, the concept wasn’t nearly as popular as it is today. Very few companies had truly natural skincare and beauty options, and those that did were incredibly expensive.
Pinterest was pretty new on the scene (oh, my gosh, that feels like another lifetime!), and I quickly became addicted to searching all of the creative ways people found to make their own natural cleaners and skincare products. I’d scroll for hours looking at all the amazing ideas and recipes others shared. I had to give them a try!
Before I knew it, I was knee deep in DIY skincare recipes. I started mixing up my own products and taking matters into my own hands, and never looked back.
Of course, these days, there’s no shortage of green beauty options, but DIYing still has it’s place! Want to find some new recipes to try? Keep reading for a list of my favorites!
Why I Love to DIY my Skincare
Before I had my first daughter, I didn’t think twice about the ingredients in my products. After she was born, though, I started noticing a connection between her eczema and certain products. Every time I’d use a certain bubble bath or lotion, I’d notice a flare up.
I knew it wasn’t a coincidence, so I started digging to find out why these products were causing so many problems. I learned that some companies used pretty harsh ingredients, and started actively searching out better alternatives.
The more I swapped out, the more I learned. And, the more I learned, the more upset I got. It turns out the ingredients in our every day products were causing a lot of problems, and I’d just never made the connection.
I started looking up ways to do better, trying different recipes, and finding what works for us.
Naturally, I started by swapping out our baby products, but the more I learned, the more I realized these ingredients affected me, too.
If you didn’t already know, conventional products contain ingredients that are basically “grandfathered in,” and are proven to cause a myriad of problems, from acne and eczema to hormonal problems, migraines, and even cancer.
No, thank you.
That’s why I started making my own skincare products. So that I could know, without a doubt, what I was putting on my body and my kids’ bodies.
Ingredients for DIY Skincare Recipes
I used to shy away from DIYing my own skincare, because I thought I would have to spend so much more on actually buying the materials than I would on actual product. This seems to be a really common belief, too, so hear me when I tell you, that’s not usually true.
In fact, with most DIYs, I notice many of the ingredients overlap. So, if you have a well-stocked supply cabinet with these ingredients, it opens you up to a whole world of DIY skincare recipes.
These are the ingredients I recommend keeping on hand:
- Almond oil
- coconut oil
- shea butter
- witch hazel
- bentonite clay
- activated charcoal
- essential oils *
- aloe vera gel
- cacao butter
- Epsom Salt
- Apple cider vinegar
- Baking Soda
As you can see, many of these ingredients are things you may already have on hand anyway, and the ones you don’t can be easily purchased online or at the grocery store. And, barring a few exceptions, having these ingredients on hand opens up a whole world of DIY skincare options for you.
* Want to use essential oils in your skincare? Be sure to check out this post! Each recipe will call for it’s own suggestions, but remember: everyone’s skin is different, and you might like a different blend better!
DIY Skincare Recipes To Try
Ready to start checking out some recipes? Today, I’ve compiled a list of over 20 DIY skincare recipes to try. To make it easier to navigate, I’ve included categories, so scroll through, and find your favorites!
Face mask recipes
- Who else loves a good face mask? This avocado face mask from Massage Guru is perfect if you have dry, dull, or aging skin that needs a pick-me-up!
- This deep cleansing bentonite clay face mask recipe only uses two ingredients and can be whipped up in under a minute!
- Need a collagen boost? I know they say collagen doesn’t absorb into your skin, but my face always feels a thousand times better after this DIY Maca and Collagen face mask!
Recipes for your hair
- This massaging shampoo bar from Earth Friendly Tips is a great option for those looking for a zero waste shampoo!
- This DIY hair spritzer recipe has been my go-to for years. It helps restore the natural pH of your scalp, so it’s helpful whether you’re dealing with excess oil or a dry itchy scalp!
- Love dry shampoo but don’t love the ingredients in the store bought options? This Moroccan Dry Shampoo recipe from Our Natural Roots uses simple ingredients that work. And bonus! It’s perfect for brunettes.
Body scrubs, soaps, and stuff for the bath
- I’m a sucker for a good bath bomb, and the combination of spearmint and eucalyptus, so I feel like these Stress Relief bath bombs from Happiest Camper were made for me. The process and ingredients list is al little more involved than my usual DIY, but aren’t bath bombs worth the extra work?
- These fizzy bath salts have been a hit with everyone who has tried them! If you love a good bubble bath but can’t seem to find a natural option you love, give these a try! They’re simple, easy to customize, and make great gifts.
- Want a natural shaving cream option that doesn’t cost a ton, leaves your skin smooth and moisturized, and smells amazing? This homemade shaving cream with rosemary and mint from Suburbia Unwrapped is a great recipe to try!
- Want to try your hand at soap making? This exfoliating coffee soap from A Magical Mess looks adorable and would make such good gifts!
- Speaking of coffee, you can’t go wrong with a good coffee scrub recipe. It smells like dessert, exfoliates, and hydrates all at the same time!
- If you really want to feel like you’re at a spa one evening, give this DIY herbal bath tea a try. It will sooth your skin and your mind at the same time.
Lotions and body butters
- These DIY hot chocolate lotion bars from Fit as a Momma Bear use only five ingredients and smell amazing! Avoid the greasy homemade lotion mess by option for a lotion bar that you can apply directly to your skin with this recipe.
- This wild violet body butter from Simply Beyond Herbs nourishes and soothes dry, aging skin. It’s made from simple ingredients that are packed with vitamins and anti-aging properties, so it soothes and heals from the outside in.
- If you’ve got dry skin, these sweet orange and honey lotion bars from This n That with Olivia are a must! I never realized how much I liked lotion bars until recently, but after giving them a try, I’m hooked.
Recipes for your face
- My DIY Fountain of Youth serum is the perfect overnight treatment to help promote a youthful glow. It only uses a few simple ingredients, making it way more affordable than the natural options you can buy!
- Have tired, puffy eyes? These caffeine gel eye pads from The Pistachio Project are just what you need! I had never even considered DIYing these before seeing her recipe, but they’re actually way easier than you’d think.
- I don’t know about you, but sometimes, I just don’t feel like washing my face. Still, I know it’s a must, so I came up with a DIY makeup remover wipe recipe that I can keep right by my bed!
- This anti-aging eye cream from Simply Beyond Herbs uses simple ingredients to reduce puffiness and under-eye circles.
- This rose and hydraulic acid face serum from Reclaiming Vitality is a hydrating and plumping serum that you can whip up in minutes to hydrate, boost elasticity, and heal your skin.
- Frankincense is one of my favorite oils to use on my face, and for good reason. It’s got so many benefits for the skin. this DIY Frankincense Face Cream from Happy Mothering is perfect if you’re skin needs a little TLC.
- This aloe and lavender face scrub from Creative Green Living is a simple DIY skincare recipe that only takes 3 ingredients to make! The best part is, most people already have all of these ingredients on hand.
- Making your own astringent is a super easy way to start DIYing. This lavender + lemon astringent from We Three Shanes smells amazing and will leave your face feeling so clean!
- This green tea and honey homemade face scrub is a great way to pamper your dry winter skin. It’s so easy that even someone who “doesn’t DIY” can do it!
When You Don’t Want to Make Your Own
Of course, sometimes, you just don’t have the time or energy to DIY your own beauty products. That’s okay. It happens to the best of us.
There are some things I just don’t want to DIY, and for those things, I choose from brands I trust, who use quality ingredients, and offer products work like they’re supposed to.
If you want to be able to shop for your products, be sure to check out these posts for some of my favorite natural brands! You can shop from bed, pants optional (the best kind of shopping, if you ask me!)
Try These DIY Skincare Recipes
Most people hear the term “DIY” and immediately think “complicated,” and “expensive.” But, if you check out the majority of these DIY skincare recipes, that’s simply not the case! With a handful of ingredients, a little time, and the right attitude, DIYing your own products can be fun, easy, and even affordable!
Need somewhere to store your new favorite recipes?
My Essential Oil Planner is the perfect download for essential oil and DIY lovers everywhere! You’ll get a digital file with pages to keep track of your favorite DIY recipes, essential oil wish lists, inventory trackers, and so much more. Grab yours here and start filling it with all the recipes you want to keep on hand!
Find more on clean living from Angie Cruise here:
- How to Have a Spa Night at Home: Ideas to Get You Started
- How to Avoid Greenwashing
- The Benefits of Using Collagen
- Natural Cleaning Products: How and Why to Make the Switch