Learn how to make this easy pesto recipe with fresh basil from the garden!
If you’ve been following me over on Instagram, you probably know that I’m pretty big on gardening. This year, for the first time ever, I ended up swimming in fresh basil. That’s a problem I’ve never had before, because usually, I kill any herbs I try to grow. Hey, I wasn’t mad about it, though.
Fresh basil means pesto, and pesto means kicking all our dinners up a notch.
Want to make your own? Check out the recipe below, plus some of the ways we make the most out of it in our home!
How to Make Easy Garden Fresh Pesto
If you’re a gardener like me, you might be finding yourself with an abundance of basil right now, and not a lot of need for that much as a seasoning.
Luckily, this easy pesto recipe only takes a few minutes and a few simple ingredients to make. Plus, it stores well in the fridge, so you can enjoy it for several days.
You’ll want a food processor or blender, and the ingredients below to make your own.
- 2 c fresh basil leaves (remove stems)
- 1/2 c grated parmesan cheese
- 1/2 c extra virgin olive oil (I like to use the extra light kind)
- 1/4 c pin nuts
- 3 cloves of garlic
- salt to taste
- Add all ingredients to the food processor and blend until smooth.
- Try not to just eat it with a spoon.
That’s it. It’s really that easy.
Of course, depending on the consistency you like, you might want to add a touch more oil and continue blending, or add a little more salt for flavor, but do that slowly. Remember, you can always add more, but you can’t take it away once it’s in there.
How to enjoy your homemade pesto
For the longest time, I only ever had pesto on pasta or seafood, but since keeping it around all the time, I’ve realized the sky is the limit on how to enjoy it!
Want some different ideas? Here are some of the ways my family enjoys their pesto:
- Spice up an average sandwich by using pesto instead of mayo or mustard.
- Grill up some turkey burgers with pesto using this recipe.
- Mix up some pizza dough and make some homemade chicken and pesto pizza.
- Mix it with some sour cream or greek yogurt to make a pesto dip for crackers or chips.
- Use it as a salad dressing by adding a little more oil.
- Toss it with some roasted veggies to add even more flavor.
- Use it in place of a marinade on your favorite meat.
The possibilities really are endless!
Easy Homemade Pesto with Just a Few Ingredients
Making your own pesto really is so much easier than it seems. This fresh, tasty condiment can spice up just about any meal with just a few minutes of work.
Give this easy pesto recipe a try this summer and enjoy it in all of your favorite meals!
Find more simple clean eating recipes from Angie Cruise:
- Sweet Potato Nachos Recipe
- Grilled Summer Salad
- Healthy Weeknight Meals Your Family Will Love
- The Best Simple Marinade for Pork or Chicken