What are the best essential oils for kids? Today, I’m sharing our family’s favorites from Plant Therapy.
Over the last six years, my family has seen so many benefits to using essential oils regularly. We’ve been healthier, calmer, more focused, and even know how to use them for minor ailments!
Of course, safety has always been my number one priority, so I’ve spent a long time studying what I can use around my kids (and what I can’t).
Here are my family’s favorite essential oils for kids, and how we use them.
This post contains affiliate links. That means I could earn a small commission based on your purchases, at no additional cost to you. To learn more, see my full disclosure here.
My Favorite Essential Oils for Kids
Throughout this post, you’ll see me linking to my personal favorite essential oil brand, Plant Therapy. We use them for their quality, commitment to providing safe usage instructions, the KidSafe line, and great pricing.
Of course, there are many other reputable brands out here as well, but if you ask my recommendation, these are the ones I’d tell you about.
I love roller bottles because they make using essential oils so easy! You can just toss them in your bag and use them on the go. Roll-ons are pre-diluted to be safe for topical use. You really don’t have to do anything once you get them. Here are some of the roller bottles I make sure we don’t run out of in our home:
- Calming the Child: Far and away my favorite must have, this roll-on gets used daily by my kids and me. It smells great and helps everyone calm down enough to focus during the school day.
- Germ Destroyer: This one is a must to help defend against seasonal threats. We use it regularly to keep everyone healthy and in tip-top shape!
- Itch Away: I keep this one in my purse all the time, because, well…we live in Texas where the mosquitoes never die. It’s been a life saver dealing with those bites and other minor skin irritations.
- No Worries: This one is great for those kids with a tendency to worry and stress out. It really helps soothe their frazzled nerves and calm them down.
- Hocus Focus: Perfect for our long school days, this one really helps my kids focus and get through their work. There’s also A+ Attention, but we like this one better!
Diffusing essential oils is a great way to give benefits to the whole family at once. For these, I pretty much always buy oils that are safe for kids, so that I don’t have to worry about what they’re breathing in! I love that everything marked KidSafe is also still effective for adults. It makes diffusing so much easier. This list is all about blends that are perfect for the diffuser. Essential oil blends (also known as synergies) pre-mixed to give you the benefits of multiple oils at once. Blends are great when you don’t want to go mixing your own synergies! Here are some of my favorite diffuser blends to use around the kids:
- Happy Place: This is a great blend to put in the diffuser to boost everyone’s moods! It’s got soothing and uplifting oils that smell great and help ease irritations.
- Nighty Night: Charlotte uses this oil so often that we’ve started just keeping it on a shelf in her room. She has always struggled with sleep, and Nighty Night has helped tremendously!
- Sneezy Stop: We use this one every time the seasons change or something is in the air.
What I really like about singles is that they’re so versatile. You can use these in your diffuser as well, both alone and blended together. Here are my family’s must-have single essential oils to use around the kids:
- Balsam Fir: This oil is known for being soothing and uplifting, and has a great woodsy smell. It’s a great choice for balancing emotions. I really like combining it with lavender or frankincense in the evenings.
- Bergamot: This oil is a really popular oil among essential oil users, and for good reason! It smells amazing. It’s citrusy and lightly floral at the same time. It’s also great essential oil for skincare, and can also be added to massage oils to soothe achy, overexerted muscles.
- Eucalyptus Dives: We love eucalyptus, but most aren’t considered safe around kids. This one is an exception, though, because it is lower in the chemical constituents that can affect kids. I like blending eucalyptus with lavender and orange.
- Frankincense Carteri: Frankincense has been used for thousands of years for spiritual growth, calming, and even skin benefits. It’s also a great boost to the immune system!
- Lavender: Of course, no essential oil list is complete without including lavender. I’ve always said, if you’re “mom-ing” without lavender, you’re making it way harder than necessary! We use lavender for bed time, bug bites, and general calming. It’s also great in so many blends.
- Lemon: another well recognized oil! We love lemon for cleaning the house, but also love it for its citrusy and uplifting scent. (Pro-tip: when I want my house to smell clean, I diffuse lemon throughout the house!)
- Orange Sweet: Orange is just such a “happy” oil, and it smells so good! It also helps support healthy immune function, and can freshen the air. I love diffusing it with Lavender and Eucalyptus Dives!
- Spearmint: One of my all-time favorite essential oils is peppermint, but it’s not considered Kid Safe. Spearmint is, though, and it can be used really similarly! It still has that amazing minty smell, but it’s gentler and a much better option to use around kids.
Safety Guidelines for Kids
If you’re looking for more advice on safe essential oils for kids, here are a couple of really informative articles I like. This one from MommyPotamus includes a list of safe essential oils and blends by age. I’ve found it really helpful! Of course, this post from Plant Therapy explains their KidSafe line and why they developed it.
Of course, the basic safety guidelines still apply as well:
- Always dilute oils that are going on your skin. Any company who tells you that isn’t necessary doesn’t have your best interests at heart.
- Start low and slow with any new oil, until you know how/if anyone will react. What I mean by this is to only add 1-2 drops to your diffuser and let it run for 5 minutes at a time. You can gradually increase this amount as you get used to your oils!
- Always diffuse in a well-ventilated room.
- Make sure your essential oils are safe for kids. Plant Therapy makes this so easy with their extensive, clearly marked KidSafe line. If you’re using a brand that doesn’t offer a label, just be sure to refer to the list above to help you out!
Essential Oil DIYs for Kids
Want to get even more out of your essential oils? Here are some of my favorite DIYs for kids!
DIY Fizzy Bath Salts: What kid doesn’t love a good bubble bath? This simple, 3 ingredient recipe will be a huge hit come bath time! Use some lavender or Nighty Night for a nice, calming bath before bed.
Homemade Aromatherapy Play dough: Do your kids love playing with play dough as much as mine? I used to buy it myself, but realized it was way cheaper to make my own. Now we make a few batches when needed, and always add essential oils to make them smell good! I love putting focusing blends into my play dough so the kids can work with it while I read.
Sweet Dreams Spray: If your kid struggles with bad dreams, this is the spray for you! Mix it with your favorite “happy” scents and spray it on their pillow or around their room before bed. You can even make a cute label to go on it!
Essential Oils for Kids: Final Thoughts
It can be hard to know where to start when looking for the best essential oils for kids. My advice is to start simple and get a few basics off of this list. You’ll notice so many benefits, like better sleep, calmer kids, and more focus. These are my go-to’s, and the ones my kids love the best as well! Use them in the diffuser, make DIY’s, or even get a few roll-ons for on-the-go aromatherapy! That way, you (and your kids) are getting all of the benefits you can.