You’ve seen me post about them for months. Maybe you have friends on Facebook that just won’t shut up about them. But seriously, can someone please explain essential oils? I mean, what the heck are they, right?!
Let’s simplify this, shall we?
Essential oils have become really popular in the last few years. I’ve seen a lot of people resist them as something new and untrustworthy. Others have called them a fad.
The truth is, essential oils have been around for thousands of years. Actually, they were man-kinds first medicine! They’re mentioned in the bible, and were even discovered in King Tut’s tomb. So, they’re definitely not new, and they’re not a fad.
They’re just becoming more mainstream, which I love! There are still a lot of people that are still unsure and maybe a little scared, so I thought we could break it down and make this easy.
So, what are essential oils?
Basically, I like to refer to essential oils as plant-juice. In other words, they’re the aromatic, volatile liquids distilled from plants. They can be obtained from the roots, seeds, shrub, flowers, leaves and trees and bring health and healing to the body.
Each plant is given its own natural properties for self defense, healing, and health, and when we distill parts of these plants correctly, we are able to take those same properties and use them to help the human body.
For example, when the helichrysum plant is cut, it will heal itself from the inside out. You can actually watch it “stitch” itself together right in front of you. When properly distilled, the helichrysum oil can work similarly in the human body. That’s why it’s such a great oil to have in your arsenal!
But, are they safe?
Essential oils are very powerful, and very complex. But, are they safe?
The short answer is, yes. When used properly, essential oils are safe. However, just because they’re natural doesn’t mean they can’t be dangerous when used incorectly. Since Young Living’s oils are so pure, they do require safety precautions. I highly recommend that if you’re looking to get started with essential oils, you should look into getting a trusted referece guide. I use the Pocket Reference Guide from Life Science Publishing and have learned so much from it!
Some basic guidelines to follow if you’re looking to get started are:
- always use a carrier oil when using essential oils topically
- know your photosensitive oils and avoid using them before direct contact with the sun
- keep oils out of your eyes, nose, and ears. If oils get where they shouldn’t, use a carrier oil to rinse out
- always put essential oils in glass or stainless steel. They are incredibly effective at pulling out toxins, including from their containers
- know the “hot” oils, like Thieves, peppermint, cinnamon, and wintergreen
- do not use essential oils topically on babies under 6 months, and then dilute heavily and use kid-safe oils
How do you use them?
There are three main ways to use essential oils, based on different studies of aromatherapy. You can use them topically, aromatically, or internally. This is why it’s such an important thing to purchase high quality, pure oils. If you’re going to be applying oils to your skin, or ingesting them (or even breathing them into your lungs) you want to make sure they don’t have any chemical fillers or synthetics.
So, how exactly do you use them?
Since your skin is the largest organ in your body, it makes sense to use your oils topically. Some great places to apply essential oils to your skin are your temples, spine, the bottom of your feet, or forearms.
Always be sure to use a carrier oil when applying oils to your skin, and avoid sensitive areas. Keep in mind the safety guidelines mentioned above!
My very favorite way to use essential oils is in my diffuser. They offer a relaxing aroma, make my house smell better, and help my entire family at the same time. Don’t have a diffuser? That’s okay! Here are some other ways to enjoy essential oils aromatically:
- Add a drop of oil to your palms and cup your nose or inhale deeply
- Use your oils on a diffuser necklace so you can enjoy them all day long
- Put some oils on a cotton ball in a small area like a closet, car, cabinet, or bathroom
There has been research done that shows that some essential oils are most effective when taken internally. Only pure essential oils, proven safe and labeled as dietary supplements should be used internally. Some ways that I like to ingest oils include:
- Adding a drop of lemon essential oil to my water (remember: always use glass)
- Make a tea with Thieves and Lemon when you’re feeling run-down
- Cooking with Vitality oils like rosemary, oregano, lemon, lime, and orange
- Making a lavender lemonade to bring to parties and get-togethers
How to get started:
This is all great and informative, but, how do you even get started?! I know that was my biggest problem when I first got interested in oils. Everything was so overwhelming. I didn’t know what oils to start with, what kind of diffuser was best, and how I could possibly know that I was choosing a pure brand.
That’s where Young Living came in. They have crafted the perfect kit for people getting started with essential oils. It comes with 11 of the most-used essential oils (pictured above), a diffuser, samples, literature, and an awesome team of oilers looking to share ideas and research.
Want to know more about my story, the oils that got me started, and how I use them? I’d love to chat one-on-one with you! Feel free to contact me by clicking here, and I can share more information and get you plugged into my next Essential Oils 101 Class!
Not sure how you’ll actually use them daily? No worries! For the rest of this month, any new members that grab their starter kit through me will be added to a private support group full of more detailed information on getting started, my favorite recipes, resources, and uses for each oil.
- Send you a friend request on Facebook,
- Get you plugged into some awesome oily groups for inspiration, learning, and support,
- Add you to my beginner’s group to get you off to the best start possible,
- and, send you a few of my favorite goodies in a welcome package!
I can’t wait to connect!