I’m not really a huge fan of red onions. They’re really sharp, and I always feel like they overpower my dish. Recently, I discovered pickled red onions, and they’re a whole different flavor profile! If you’ve never had the pleasure of trying onions this way, do yourself a favor and make a batch! The recipe is incredibly easy, and only takes a few minutes of prep time.
Why eat pickled red onions?
This post contains affiliate links. To learn more, see my full disclosure here.
We’ve probably all heard about the benefits of fermented foods. They’re incredibly healing and good for your gut. However, fermenting foods is a long process, and not one I personally have the time for on the regular.
This pickled red onion recipe contains apple cider vinegar, which is a fermented food you can grab right off the shelf! Boom. Now you have a tasty topping for your meals that is full of gut-healing benefits with minimal effort.
I now keep these guys in the fridge at all times. They’re amazing on top of burgers, potato salad, pork tacos, salads, or even eggs! You can also add them to your next meat and cheese platter along with your olives and pickles, because they’d fit right in there!
Want to give it a try? The recipe is one of the easiest you’ll ever try. So, grab the few ingredients you need, find a spare 5 minutes in your day, and give it a go.
- 1 fresh red onion
- 1/2 c raw apple cider vinegar (with the mother)
- salt, chili powder, and garlic
- 1 pint sized canning jar with a lid (like these)
- Cut the ends off your onion and remove the peel.
- Cut the onion into thin slices.
- In a glass measuring cup, mix your apple cider vinegar and seasoning.
- Add onions and brine (vinegar mixture) to your jar, making sure to push your onions all the way into the liquid.
- If you don’t have enough liquid to cover your onions, add some water until it reaches the top.
- Put your lid on tightly, and refrigerate for 24 hours or more.
Once these are made, they should keep pretty well in the refrigerator for a few weeks. We add these to so many recipes, they rarely last long enough to actually go bad!
That’s all there is to it! These pickled red onions are an easy way to add a yummy, healthy topping to so many of our favorite dishes. I hope you enjoy this simple side!
Like this simple recipe? Be sure to check out these, too!