Want to earn an income from home but don’t know where to start? I’ve got you covered! Here, you’ll find over 30 tips to teach you how to be a work at home mom and balance all the aspects of your life.
Hey there! I’m Angie, and this is my blog!
I’ve been working from home since my oldest daughter was about a year old. She’s ten now, at the time of writing this, so I’ve been at it a long time. Over the years, I have done everything from freelance writing, to running an Etsy shop, to MLM and direct sales companies, and now, blogging.
Because I’ve had a lot of experience working from home, it’s a question I get asked about a lot by moms wanting to do the same.
Over the years I’ve run this blog, I’ve written a lot of tips and advice on how to be a work at home mom. Since they span pages and pages of content, I thought it would be convenient to put them all in one place.
So, if you are looking for advice on how to be a work at home mom, look no further! You can now view all of my business tips and advice for work at home moms all in one place.
Tips on Getting Started as a Work at Home Mom
Looking for ideas on how to even get started? I’ve got you covered!
Here you can find new business tips, advice for starting out, and ideas on how to earn money from home. Enjoy!
- The 5 Mistakes I Made When Starting My First Business: Sometimes it helps to learn from the mistakes of others. These mistakes taught me so much about business, and I want them to help you, too.
- 4 Things to do After Starting a Small Business: Want to know the four most important things to do after starting a business? These are my top 4!
- 10 Best Side Hustle Ideas for Moms: Need to make some extra money but don’t even know where to start? This post is for you!
- My Top Business Advice for New Entrepreneurs: Here are some things you should focus on in your first three months of starting a new business.
- The Defininitive Guide to Passive Income for Small Businesses: Have you ever thought about what would happen to your income if you got sick or hurt? Passive income offers great protection from that, and this article gives you some awesome ideas on how to get it!
- Learn How to Grow Your Business with Free Classes: These classes were a great resource for me, especially in the beginning! I still check them out from time to time, and recommend them to all new creative business owners.
How to Start a Blog
Blogging is a great way to earn money from home, and something a lot of people want to give it a try. Since it’s so popular, I thought I’d give this topic it’s own section. I’m not a “how to blog” blogger, but I have written a few articles over the years. Find out my best advice below:
- How to Start a Blog and Build a Business: First thing’s first, this article will give you all the advice you need to start a blog and build a business.
- 10 Blogging Lessons I’ve Learned in my First 6 Months: There’s a lot of blogging advice out there, and it can be hard to know where to start. This article shares some lessons I learned in my first 6 months of blogging.
- What I Learned in my Firts Year Blogging: It’s been so interesting to watch my progression on the blog, and how much I learn as I go. At one year, I was a little more experienced and a little wiser!
- Breaking the Blogging Mold: There’s a lot of advice out there for blogging, but eventually, it’s important to branch out and follow your gut. Here are some ways that I shook things up successfully on my blog, and over time, these decisions have served me well.
- Why I’m Ignoring the Expert Advice: Learning from the pros is really important, especially in the beginning. But, when you start feeling overwhelmed and suffocated by all of the “rules” in the industry, it’s time to step back. You can have a successful blog without doing exactly what everyone else does.
Business Photography Tips
This post contains affiliate links. That means I may earn a small commission based on your purchases. To learn more, see my full disclosure here.
Basic photography skills are incredibly important when you run an online business. Looking back, I still laugh at the first pictures I put online of my baby hats. There was a harsh glare from overhead lighting, they were laying on my black table, and the color was all wrong.
Over time, I learned a lot, and realized that pictures sell. Whether you are marketing a product online, writing a blog, or building a community on Instagram, it’s really important to have some basic photography skills.
You don’t need fancy equipment for it, either, so don’t worry. In the beginning, it’s totally fine to use your cell phone, as long as you know how to use it.
Check out the resources below to get you started:
- My Top 10 Small Business Photography Tips: This is a great article for those who don’t even know where to start! I’ve been a hobby photographer for years, and outlined my best business photography tips for beginners here!
- Product Photography Made Simple: If you’re looking to buy an e-book geared towards beginners, I did a review on this one a couple of years ago and would recommend it! If you want something a bit more in depth, I was also recently given the opportunity to review her latest photography book and would highly recommend it as well! You can find it right here.
- How to Master Instagram Photography With Your Phone: You don’t have to have an expensive camera to take good pictures. In fact, most of the pictures on my Instagram are taken with my cell phone! Get some tips on taking great cell phone pictures for Instagram and social media in this post! (Psst! If we’re not friends on Instagram, why not?? Come follow along! You can find my account right here.)
Network Marketing and MLM Tips
Network marketing has been on the rise for quite a few years, but I think we can all agree that some of the advice that’s given in those circles is kind of a turn-off. If you’re considering running this kind of business, check out the advice and tips below!
- How to Have More MLM Success (aka What NOT to Do): Do you do these things? If so, you might be turning away your potential customers!
- 5 Reasons to Join a Network Marketing Company: I always swore I wouldn’t get into network marketing, and then I did. These are the reasons I decided to give it a try!
- My Thoughts on MLMs: I know they have a bad reputation, but they’re not all bad. Check out some of my thoughts on the business model to see if it’s right for you.
Goal Setting and Organization
Of course, I can’t share advice on how to be a work at home mom without talking about goal setting and organization. Find my best tips on these topics below!
- My 2018 Small Business Planner Setup: I have shared more than once about how I set up a planner for my business. This one is more geared towards blogging and network marketing. Be sure to grab the free printables!
- My Small Business Organization System Revealed: This post includes tons of tips on how to organize a small business. It even includes a different printable business planner to check out.
- How I Use a Business Journal: This idea is a bit unconventional, but it’s a process that has helped me for years! Check it out and see if it will work for you.
- How to Set SMART Goals for Success: There’s more to setting a goal than just proclaiming what you want. In this post, I outline how to set a goal you can actually track and reach.
- 5 Ways to Run a Business with Less Stress (& More Success): Feeling overwhelmed with your business tasks? Need to put some systems in place that will help you get it all done? Check out the tips in this post.
Marketing and Social Media
- How to Start an Email List: An email list is vital to a healthy online business. This post breaks down why you want one, and how to get it started. Plus, I share my favorite email platform!
- How I Use Pinterest for Business: Whether you have an Etsy shop, a blog, or anything in between, Pinterest can help you drive massive traffic to your site. Here’s how I use it!
- 5 Social Media Mistakes You’re Probably Making: Are you doing these things? If so, you might be driving away potential customers.
- Dear Business Owners: This is more of an op-ed piece I did after several negative encounters with the way people market their businesses. So worth the read!
Miscellaneous Business Chat
Sometimes, you need advice that doesn’t fit into a neat little package. Oftentimes, that’s the best advice you can receive. Just the little tidbits from someone who has been there and don that. That’s what this section is. It’s all of my advice that doesn’t fit neatly into one category.
- How to Work at Home with Kids: I love the flexibility of my job. I love that I get to spend extra time with my kids. But, let’s be honest. Having kids home means less dedicated time to work. This post has my tips and tricks for getting more done without sacrificing your whole day.
- Summer Break Tips for Work at Home Moms: Summer break brings with it a change in schedule and a whole lot more distraction. These tips will help you maintain a routine and keep up with your work, while still enjoying the summer with your kids.
- 5 Big Challenges of Working from Home: I’ve been running a business from home for over 10 years now, and will be the first to tell you there are a lot of unique challenges of working from home as a mom. Are you a new work at home mom? Check out this post to see what they are.
- Must-Read Books for Personal Development: I was never really into the whole personal development arena until I started running my own business. Suddenly, I’m surrounded by people who are legitimately trying to do better. It was a foreign concept at the time, but now it’s a big part of my life. Here are some of my absolute favorites, especially for business owners.
- 5 Ways to Support Your Friend’s New Business: This is a must read for new business owners (share with your friends!) and anyone who has a friend with a business.
More Great Tips for Work at Home Moms
- 10 Tips to Help Avoid Business Burnout: Are you suffering from burnout? It’s easy to focus too much on work when you never leave. These tips will help you avoid it and find a better work-life balance.
- How to be Original (& Not a Sell-Out): It’s easy to see successful people and think maybe you should be doing what they’re doing. I did that once, though, I still wasn’t successful. That’s because I wasn’t being true to myself. These tips will help you be true to yourself and not get caught up in that comparison.
- The Secret to Help You Get Motivated: Here’s a secret. You won’t be motivated every day. Some days you’ll want to be lazy and you have to create your own motivation. Here’s a tip to help you out on those days.
- A Peak into My Blog and Business Toolkit: The tools and products I use in my business.
Sign Up to Grab My Free Business Organizational Printables Here:
Need to get your business organized and on track? This small business planner is completely free! Just sign up for my email and you’ll gain access to the entire resource folder, which includes this pack, plus several other organizational printables!