Want a tender, fall of the bone chicken dinner in less than an hour? This Instant Pot whole chicken recipe is easy, simple, and packed with flavor.
I love making a whole chicken for my family. It’s just so easy and versatile. Plus, buying the whole chicken instead of a pack of breasts is so affordable! But if I’m totally honest, I rarely have my act together enough to get a whole baked chicken cooked perfectly and on the table in time for dinner. That’s why, when I first bought my Instant Pot, I made it a priority to perfect the Instant Pot whole chicken!
This chicken is fall off the bone tender, full of flavor, and cooked perfectly in right over half an hour.
This post contains affiliate links. That means I could earn a small commission based on your purchases. To learn more, see my full disclosure here.
Instant Pot Whole Chicken Recipe
This chicken is made in the Instant Pot from start to finish. It’s such an easy, minimal prep weeknight dinner! Just let the pressure naturally release while you get your sides ready.
Tip: don’t forget to save your bones and veggie scraps to make a quick bone broth later!
- Whole Chicken (4-5 lbs)
- 1 Lemon, halved
- 1 tsp freshly ground black pepper
- 2 tsp sea salt
- 2 tbs extra light olive oil or butter
- 1 tsp onion powder
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1-2 sprigs of fresh rosemary (or 1 tsp dried)
- 2 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried oregano
- 1 c chicken broth
How to Make an Instant Pot Whole Chicken
- In a small bowl, mix together all of your seasonings and set aside.
- Remove giblets from chicken and pat dry. Season chicken with your seasoning mix and stuff your 2 lemon halves in the cavity.
- Set your Instant Pot to the sauté setting, add oil or butter, and then place your chicken in breast side down. Sear chicken for approximately 4 minutes, and then flip it over using tongs. Let it cook an additional 4 minutes. Remove chicken from your Instant Pot and set aside.
- Add metal trivet to your pot, and add chicken broth. Place your chicken gently on top of the trivet and seal your Instant Pot. Select manual setting and set the timer for 30 minutes. (You can also confirm the cook time for your chicken based on pounds in the manual that came with your Instant Pot). When chicken is done cooking, let it naturally release pressure for about 10 minutes before releasing the valve. Let it sit for about 10 minutes once the pressure is completely released.
- Serve immediately.
I use a whole chicken for so many things. This is delicious served up with some sides just like you would for baked chicken or rotisserie chicken. But, a whole chicken is also great for soups, salads, chicken chili, tacos, nachos, or even chicken spaghetti! One of my families favorites is this cheesy enchilada casserole.
The options are endless, and it’s one of the things I love about cooking a whole chicken in the Instant Pot. Plus, you can save the bones to make broth when you’re done, meaning you utilize the whole chicken instead of just one part. If you ask me, that’s the way to do it!
Make a Whole Chicken in Your Instant Pot
We don’t typically picture a whole chicken being an easy weeknight meal, but when you make it in your Instant Pot, it can be! Tender, juicy, fall-off-the-bone chicken in just over half an hour. It really can’t be beat! Give this Instant Pot whole chicken recipe a try next time you’re craving a simple, home cooked meal.