This quick and easy recipe for roasted vegetables with pesto makes a great healthy side dish. Make it using any veggies you have on hand for a flavorful boost!
It’s about that time of year again! Time for my garden to be overflowing with so much basil I can barely keep up. Last summer, I started making my own pesto and it quickly became my favorite way to dress up my dinners during the summer.
We add pesto to so many dishes – from pasta to fish to these amazing turkey burgers – but one of my favorite ways to use it is in this easy recipe for roasted vegetables with pesto.
It’s seriously such an easy way to add some flavor to any veggies. And the best part? You can use this recipe with whatever veggies you have on hand!
I usually chop up whatever I have in my fridge, which means it’s usually a mix of carrots, brussel sprouts, broccoli, potatoes, zucchini, or even sweet potatoes. yum.
Roasted Vegetables with Pesto
Now, let’s get down to business! I’d hate to turn into one of those bloggers everyone on social media gripes about. I’ll keep the high word counts for the blog posts that don’t stand between you and dinner! I’m writing this recipe based on the veggies I usually roast, but seriously. Don’t be shy about mixing it up!
- 1 carrot; chopped
- 1 red onion; chopped
- 2 red potatoes; chopped
- 1 summer squash or zucchini; chopped
- 1 red pepper; chopped
- 1-2 tablespoons of olive oil
- salt and pepper (to taste)
- 1/2 cup fresh basil pesto (more or less – to taste)
- optional – grated parmesan to garnish
- Preheat your oven to 425º F.
- Toss your chopped veggies in olive oil, salt, and pepper and arrange them in a single layer on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes, checking them half way. I like to flip the veggies and give them a good stir on the baking sheet at this point.
- Once your veggies are roasted to your liking, return them to a mixing bowl and mix in your pesto until there’s as much as you like. For this amount of veggies, I usually use about 1/2 a cup for this amount of vegetables.
- Garnish with grated parmesan if that’s your jam.
I wrote this recipe based on the vegetables I usually have on hand, but feel free to get creative! This recipe would work well with potatoes, sweet potatoes, summer squash, carrots, cauliflower, broccoli, brussel sprouts, or any other veggie you might have on hand.
Easy Recipe for Roasted Vegetables with Pesto
That’s it! This recipe for roasted vegetables with pesto makes a delicious and healthy side to just about any meal! Plus, it cooks up in just over 30 minutes – most of which is done in the oven, so you’re not even actively cooking!
Add this side to your favorite grilled meat, put it on top of pasta, or have it alongside a nice rotisserie chicken to make cooking a breeze.