I don’t know about you, but one of my favorite ways to unwind after a long day is with a hot bath and a glass of wine. Bubble baths have been a huge part of my nightly routine for as long as I can remember. They’re soothing to my sore back, but they’re also really soothing to my mind.
Lately, I’ve been trying to switch as many of my skincare items as I can to all natural alternatives, and I’ve really missed my bubble bath!
Side note: If you have a DIY bubble bath recipe that actually works and creates awesome bubbles with natural ingredients, feel free to drop a link in the comments!
Luckily, I’ve been able to find a suitable substitute for my bubble baths by making DIY bath salts. I’m almost fully converted, since I can whip them up quickly and change the scents based on what I want that day.
How to Make DIY Bath Salts
This post contains affiliate links. To learn more about what this means, you can read my full disclosure here.
Bath salts are by far one of the easiest DIYs I’ve ever done. They’re so popular for gifts, too! This year I have made bath salts for 2 birthdays, Christmas, teacher appreciation week, and mother’s day. People are always so impressed, and since they literally only take me about 2 minutes to make, I feel a tiny bit guilty not sharing.
I know there are tons of tutorials on how to make DIY bath salts, so you probably don’t need mine. I will be sharing my favorite essential oil blends at the end, so I hope that makes up for it!
- 3/4 cup Epsom Salt
- 1/4 cup table salt
- approx. 8 drops essential oils (see the end for my favorite blends)
- glass containers (I like these)
Once you’ve gathered all of your ingredients, pour your epsom salt and your table salt into a glass bowl. If you buy the containers I linked above, you’ll be able to fill 4 containers. If you want 4 different scents, then whisk your salts together and pour them evenly into your containers. Each container can have about 3-4 drops of essential oil. Mix again with your essential oils and then add a pretty label to the top to dress it up! I just used my Silhouette to cut circles in sticker paper and then dressed them up with some pretty washi tape and markers. There are so many ways to make these jars look nice!
My Favorite Essential Oil Blends
Sometimes the hardest part of putting together skin care items (especially if you’re giving them as gifts) is picking out good scents. I thought it would be fun to share my favorite tried and true oil blends to help you out! Some of these I’ve given as gifts, some I’ve used for myself or my kids. These recipes are all made using Young Living Essential Oils. I use these oils because it’s a brand I trust after a lot of research, and because they have the largest selection of singles and blends that I’ve found so far. If you don’t have a Young Living account and want to get started, feel free to contact me for the hookup!
So, without further adeu, here are my favorite bath salt blends:
- Stress-Away: This isn’t really a recipe, since it’s a single blend, but there’s something to say for simplicity. I love giving this one as a gift!
- Lavender + Stress-Away: Having trouble sleeping? This is a great blend to calm your mind and body at the same time!
- RC + Lavender: This is one of my favorite bath salt blends to clear my head when it’s foggy, and it helps put me into a nice deep sleep so I wake up feeling rested and rejuvinated.
- PanAway + Lavender: Be careful with this one. PanAway is a really powerful blend, so start really small. I love this after a strenuous yoga practice or a day in the garden, but I use it sparingly.
- Eucalyptus and Spearmint: Always a favorite. It was my favorite Bath and Body Works scent, but since I kicked that brand to the curb, this is a great alternative!
- Frankinsence + Lavender: This is an incredibly calming blend that’s also amazing for your skin. It’s really one of my favorites! I do use this sparingly, though, and rarely give it as a gift since Frankinsence is basically liquid gold!
Do you notice a trend here? Lavender is by far one of my favorite oils! It helps me sleep, and it’s great for calming my over-active brain and soothing my skin at the same time.
I’ve become addicted to these DIY bath salts.
One of my favorite things to do now before bed is pick what scent I’m in the mood for that day. I could never do that with bubble bath from the store! I had one or 2 bottles to choose from, and that was it. These are also great to whip up for friends, family, and anyone that deserves a gift at the drop of a hat. Not only are they easy and affordable, but I also feel good knowing I am giving a gift that is going to promote health and wellness to the recipient!
If you’ve been looking for a fun DIY for yourself or those you love, try whipping up a quick batch of DIY bath salts this week to see how it goes! Give it a try for a few weeks. I bet you’ll be able to ditch those harsh bubble baths with this all natural replacement! Who knows, you become addicted to these bath salts as well!