There is no shortage of business advice online, I know.
The pattern I’ve noticed, though, is that a lot of it tells you to do all the things, which can be really overwhelming. Who has time for it? There’s a secret to running a business, though. As it turns out, you don’t need to do everything in order to succeed. I’m going to tell you the top 5 things you should be doing in your first 3 months of opening your new business.
My Top 5 Business Advice for Starting Out
This blog is my third business to start from scratch. I’ve learned a lot along the way, including the things that are and are not worth worrying about. Since this question seems so popular, I thought I’d come up with a list of what I think are the most important things to focus on in the early stages. I want you to be able to quit stressing about all of the business advice and start being able to enjoy your new business!
1. Set Your Goals
First things first: It’s incredibly important to make sure you create some good, solid goals for your business right away. Without them, you have no direction! Try to consider these in a big picture way.Without goals, your business has no direction. Click To Tweet
- What do you want your business to be known for? What are you selling?
- How do you want people to feel about your product?
- Why do you do what you do? (In other words, What is your “big picture” goal for your business?)
- Where do you see your business in 6 months? What about in 3 years?
- Do you want to make a full time income? Or are you happy with earning a part-time salary?
These are just some ideas to get you started on creating your business goals. We all have a different end-game in mind, so this step will be a personal one. Once you’ve figured out your ultimate goals for your business, move on to see the rest of my new business tips.
2. Find Your Tribe
When you start a new business, it’s imperative that you get the word out as soon as possible. Otherwise, how will anyone know about you? Social media is the fastest and cheapest way to get the word out to potential customers, so I recommend starting there.
Some platforms to consider for meeting new people are:
- Facebook Business Pages – Create yours and start building a following by posting branded content.
- Facebook Groups – These are groups of people with similar interests to your product. There are tons of groups you can join and get to know new people. Just search Facebook for topics relevant to your business! Just, don’t be spammy and post your links everywhere (most groups have a rule about that, plus, it’s just bad social media etiquette.) Remember to be authentic and make real connections!
- Instagram – This is by far my favorite platform, because I’m a very visual person. The same advice holds true here, too. Always be authentic. This is a great place to show a bit more of your personality and really get to know your community.
- Twitter – Twitter is great, especially if you are sharing an informational product. It’s simple and to the point, so it’s definitely worth considering! I’m still learning Twitter myself, but I recommend checking out some blog posts on the platform and at least setting up an account.
- Pinterest – If your product is visual, or if you are writing a blog, I highly recommend Pinterest! It’s a great platform for directing traffic to your site if you use it correctly! Be sure to include Pinterest-friendly graphics and link to your page for the best results.
3. Focus on Your Newsletter
Pay attention, because this may just be some of the best advice I give you. If there’s one thing I’ve learned since starting my blog, it is just how important your newsletter list is. I have to send a shoutout to Laura from iHeartPlanners for this one, because she really opened my eyes to this recently. Social media is fickle, and the algorithms are always changing. You never know for sure who will see your update there. By focusing on your newsletter, you are guaranteeing that those followers that care about your product will see you. Some benefits to growing your subscriber list include:
- A bigger reach for your brand
- More guaranteed interaction
- Higher impact with each person on your list
- A more reliable way to reach customers
- A marketing tool you own
Focusing on your newsletter from day one can make a big impact in your business down the road. Don’t ignore this advice!
4. Set Your Schedule
Whether you’re a blogger, an Etsy shop owner, or offer a service of some sort, it’s absolutely vital to develop a schedule early on. You need a strategic plan on when you will be delivering new products, and how. It doesn’t have to be set in stone, and will definitely change as you progress in your business, but having a plan in place and staying organized will save you a lot of time and headache later.Have a plan & stay organized to help your business grow. Click To Tweet
When you sit down to figure out your schedule, you can consider things like:
- How often will I be producing new content/products?
- What is my product development time frame?
- Should I offer sales monthly? What about yearly?
- How often do I plan to post on social media?
5. Put Out Lots of Great Content
This one should go without saying, but no matter what your business is about, you need to make sure you are delivering a lot of great content. If you are writing a blog, write a lot of posts on a variety of topics (or if you have a narrow niche, cover as much as you can). If you have an Etsy store, create a lot of products for your site, and aim for a wide price range so that you have something for everyone.
Think of it this way:
Imagine walking in to a boutique or a department store, and find only one single rack of clothes to choose from. The rest of the store is just empty space. Whether you like the style of the brand or not, you may not find exactly what you’re looking for if there’s just one tiny rack of clothes to choose from. Focus on offering as much variety as you can, and on adding new products regularly (which is where your schedule will come in handy). This will help you attract buyers and repeat shoppers, because they know they can find something new and exciting when they visit.
Set This Business Advice in Motion
There are so many articles out there sharing their best new business advice. It’s really easy to fall into the research hole and read everything you can about your new business without actually implementing anything you’ve learned. If you have one take-away from this article, I hope it is that you need to take action. Read as much as you want, but it will not help your business any if you don’t put that advice into motion. I’d really love it if you can take a minute to sit down and write out a to-do list for this week of everything you want to do for your business. I really hope some of my business advice makes it onto the list!
Have anything to add? Feel free to let me know in the comments section below!